Giving your kitchen a makeover doesn’t have to involve a sledgehammer and an unusable home for weeks. We’ve put together these 10 easy updates to give your kitchen a new lease of life.
- Change up the little details. It’s the little finishing touches that really make a space, so why not switch them around every now and then? This about new cabinet handles, lamp shades, light fittings or some new appliances.
- Repaint your cabinets. This is the perfect solution for a budget kitchen alteration that will make a great deal of difference. Going from a dark to light shade can make your kitchen instantly more spacious and airy. A darker shade can add a feel of luxury and can also transform your cabinets into a focal point.
- Upgrade your countertops. In the same way that a new bed can transform a small bedroom, or a new lawn can transform a garden, countertops are what your kitchen revolves around. Having outdated and tatty worktops instantly makes an otherwise nice kitchen feel like a student house. This can be an expensive change to make but you don’t want to get something cheap that won’t last. If you’re stuck for what material to choose check out our previous blog: KITCHEN COUNTERS – WHAT’S THE RIGHT CHOICE FOR ME?
- Reface those sad old cabinets. A few new doors can give your whole kitchen a face lift!
- Add a new backsplash. If you’re happy with the worktops and cabinets in your kitchen but you still feel it’s missing a little je ne sais quoi, putting in a new backsplash can help tie a room together.
- New, interesting tap fittings. A detachable spray hose comes in handy and looks great. Try a spout with a flexible braided water-supply hose. It looks better than a plain black rubber hose and will last much longer.
- Switch the shelving up – Try a few open faced storage options, make a statement with your kitchenware by adding some interesting lighting.
- Rugs and floor runners can add an instant touch of cosy to any shaped kitchen.
- Think about a free standing island or butcher’s block. These movable items are a great, low commitment way to create an extra storage space or even breakfast bars.
- Create a colourful or unusual centrepiece to your kitchen. Especially if you have a neutral, tasteful kitchen design. You could use a statement cooker hood in an interesting colour, or, why not go all out with a luxurious chandelier.
For help and advice about your home improvement project contact your local Building Control team.
If you need to find a reliable builder, architect or other construction professionals browse our tradesperson directory.