Permitted Development Rules

Exteriors, General, Home extension

If you’re planning a home improvement then organising planning permission might be somewhere in your to-do list. But, in some cases, you won’t need to. This is because of Permitted Development Rules.building-work

Long story short – You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. This is called your “permitted development rights”. They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by parliament.

Bear in mind: the permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings.

In some areas of the country, known generally as ‘designated areas’, permitted development rights are more restricted.

If you live in a:

  • Conservation Area
  • National Park
  • Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
  • The Norfolk or Suffolk Broads

you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas.

There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building.

The Planning Portal’s general advice is that you should contact your local planning authority and discuss your proposal before any work begins. They will be able to inform you of any reason why the development may not be permitted and if you need to apply for planning permission for all or part of the work.

Permitted Development Rights Can Be Withdrawn

You should also note that the local planning authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one.

Article 4 directions are made when the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened. They are most common in conservation areas. You will probably know if your property is affected by such a direction, but you can check with the local planning authority if you are not sure.

NOTE: Houses created through permitted development rights to change use from shops, financial and professional services premises or agricultural buildings cannot use householder permitted development rights to improve, alter or extend homes: planning permission is required. You are advised to contact your local planning authority.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *