What you need to know about carbon monoxide detectors

General

Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the most dangerous and deadly killers out there and sadly, people die from it every year. That’s why today’s post is all about carbon monoxide detectors. They can save lives, and surely that’s reason enough to have one.What you need to know about carbon monoxide detectors

Carbon monoxide is an invisible gas that is difficult to detect, due to the fact that it does not have a taste or a smell. It is produced when natural gases and other materials, such as gasoline, oil, coal and wood, have not burnt properly. It takes effect through the way in which it deprives oxygen to the vital organs in your body, and the frightening news is that, with large exposures of it, it can take hold in minutes.

That’s why having a carbon monoxide detector is a must. They work very effectively by triggering an alarm through three different components when the gas is present. You can buy those which run on batteries, or those which run on household current. Remember that if it uses household current, it will need to be near a plug socket, and that you may need a battery back up in case the power cuts out. Either way, they should meet the minimum sensitivity levels, so it’s whatever works best for you.

A lot of people are not sure where exactly they should place the detectors. We would recommend that you have at least one on every floor of your home, and that it’s in a place where you can actually hear it. This ensures extra safety for you and your family and reduces the risk of you being caught out. We also suggest that you put it in the proximity of any gas burning appliances, for example, you could put it near your gas oven in the kitchen. However, make sure that you do not put it too close to the appliance- try to place it higher up towards the ceiling for the best results.

The last thing that you need to know about them is what should happen if they do go off. Well first of all, you need to try and stay calm. You then need to try and open up all the windows and doors, which can help to ventilate the gas, before exiting your property to make sure that you get some fresh, clean air into your lungs. It’s important that once outside, you make sure that you’re feeling okay. If you feel unwell in the slightest, seek medical attention, as it could be a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning and it needs to be dealt with straight away. You also need to contact a professional, who can come to inspect your appliances, to make sure that everything is okay and that it is safe to go back inside.

Hopefully this has provided you with some insight. If we can save even one life, then that’s a job well done, so share this with your friends and family and help to keep them safe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *