What is asbestos?
Asbestos is a dangerous mineral that is incredibly toxic, but unfortunately, this wasn’t realised until late into the 20th century. It can cause all sorts of health problems and has even been the cause of death in many cases. In fact, it’s been proven that around 5,000 people a year die because of it. And yet, because it’s been used since the 18th century in England, it is still very much evident in a lot of homes. It’s been banned since 1999, but of course, it’s impossible to make sure that it’s removed in every single building in the country. People only tend to discover it when they’re making home improvements and when they’re completing bits of DIY in their homes, which is why it’s a good idea to be aware of it.
What does it look like?
Loose fill asbestos, which was mainly used in insulation, tends to be a fluffy looking material that resembles white/grey candyfloss. However, asbestos can come in different forms depending on where it was used. For example, it can look more flaky, it could come in different colours or it could even come in a spray coating form.
Where do I need to look out for it?
- The loft
- Underneath the carpets
- The walls and ceilings
- Around pipes and boilers
How do I handle it?
Well, to eliminate any danger for sure, the asbestos needs removing. It’s vital that you don’t try and touch it yourself, as any disturbance could cause its fibres to be released. This leads to it becoming airborne and therefore, deadly. It’s important that you hire a professional who knows what they’re doing. They’ll be able to remove it safely and efficiently. If you’re not 100% sure that what you’ve found is asbestos, then it’s best to get a professional in anyway. They’ll be able to identify it by running the necessary tests.
When dealing with asbestos, caution and care should be your number one priority. As long as you’re aware of what it is and you’re equipped with the knowledge on how to deal with it, everything should be fine.